Skip to content ↓

Parents & Carers

The links to the right provide some additional information about general school issues, which we hope parents and carers will find useful.

If there is any information that we have not provided that you would like to see on our website, please let us know.



Lewisham Admissions Procedures

Please see below our new parental responsibility protocol. 

We will ask the parent or carer who makes the application to provide:

  • two documents confirming their address
  • one document confirming their child's address
  • one document confirming their child's date of birth.

Confirming the address the parent or carer should provide:

  • one document from Section A and one document from Section B.

Section A



Council Tax statement or letter

This must be supplied if the applicant is the council taxpayer and must be for the current financial year.

Tenancy agreement or solicitor’s letter confirming completion of house purchase.

Must be current and include the pages that show the names of the tenants. If this is a new address, the applicant must supply a letter from solicitor confirming completion date. (If child is named on this it can be used as a proof of address for child if no other child documents are available)

Letter from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS) or UK Border Force (UKBA) confirming you live at the address

Must be current year.


Section B



TV licence

Must be for current year.

Utility bill

Must not be more than three months old. Mobile phone bills will not be accepted.

Driving licence

Must be current.

NHS registration card

Must show the applicants name and address.


Confirming your child's address

The applicant must provide one of the following documents to confirm the child’s name and address.



Child NHS registration card

Must show the child's name and address.

Medical letter or prescription

Must not be more than 12 months old.

Immigration documents

Must show address.

Letter signed by "No recourse to public fund" team

Must state child and parent’s name and address.

Letter signed by social services - If

child is a Looked After

Must state the child and carer’s name and address.


Confirming your child’s date of birth

The applicant must provide one of the following documents to confirm the child’s date of birth.




Must be current.

EU national identity card

Must be current.

Prescription or medical letter

Must have the child's name and date of birth printed on it.


If the documents can't be provided

If the parent or carer is unable to provide any of the documents above, a sworn affidavit, statutory declaration or affirmation must be provided. It must state parent and child's full name, address, the date the applicant started living at that address and the child’s date of birth.

The document must signed by a solicitor holding a current practising certificate issued by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Please note that Lewisham Council will not contribute towards the cost of obtaining this documentation.

The person completing the application must be the child’s parent (including adoptive parents) or the person with legal parental responsibility. We cannot accept applications from a grandparent or other family member unless they have legal parental responsibility.

If the applicant applying for a school place is not the child’s parent, they will need to include a letter explaining the relationship is to the child and why they are applying instead of the parent. The applicant must also provide a legal document to prove they have parental responsibility.

Shared care arrangements: Lewisham is aware that some parents share the care of their child. Lewisham will normally accept that the child lives with the parent who makes the application and is able to provide documentary evidence of the child’s main domiciliary address, ie who the child lives with on school days.



What will Lewisham do if two parents are in dispute and both want to submit two separate applications from two different addresses and both have parental responsibility?

According to: Government Guidance, called Understanding and dealing with issues relating to parental responsibility Updated 3 September 2018

Where a parent’s action, or proposed action, conflicts with the school’s ability to act in the child’s best interests, the school should try to resolve the problem with that parent but avoid becoming involved in conflict. However, there may be occasions when a school needs to decline requests for action from one or more parents.

In cases where schools cannot resolve the conflict between separated parents, they should advise the aggrieved parent to pursue the matter through the Family Court.

Therefore if two parents, submit two separate applications and are unable to agree whose application will be processed, Lewisham will proceed with the parent who is able to provide the appropriate documentation.

If both parents provide the documentation, then neither application will be processed until a resolution is sought.

Lewisham may check its records, as well as those of other external agencies, to confirm a child’s permanent home address.